Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I apply for a job with the City of Hendersonville?

We do not accept random applications, resumes, etc.  We only accept this information during an open recruitment.  All open recruitments can be found under the Employment Opportunities tab of Human Resources page.  If we are currently recruiting for a position you may be interested in, follow the steps for that recruitment, apply, and submit all required materials by the specified deadline.  Each recruitment is different.  Be sure to read all of the information for that recruitment.   

Can I apply with a resume and/or cover letter only?

No.  Each open recruitment will have specific documentation that is required.  Your resume and/or cover letter may be submitted along with your application and other required documents, but simply submitting a resume and/or cover letter will not suffice for an application. 

What is the selection process?

Each recruitment is different.  If the City launches an internal recruitment, only current City of Hendersonville employees can apply if qualified.  If the City launches an external recruitment (meaning anyone can apply if qualified), we will have a specified deadline to receive all applications and materials.  After the deadline, the City may chose to conduct some type of pre-determined competition (example would be a Skills Test or written exam) that qualified candidates shall participate in.  These will be graded and points awarded which creates a ranked list with the scoring.  This list gets submitted to the Department Head for review and the Department Head (or his designee) will reach out to the top-ranked candidates and schedule interviews.  Once interviews are conducted and the Department Head selects a qualified applicant that he/she feels is the best fit for the position, a job offer may be made.    

Do I have to submit a separate job application for each open recruitment?


What is Title VI?

The Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in programs or activities which receive federal financial assistance.  It is the policy of the City of Hendersonville to ensure compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; 49 CFR, Part 21; Related statutes and regulations to the end that no person shall be excluded from participation in or denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Transportation on the grounds of race, color, sex, or national origin. 

How can I be notified of future job openings?

Feel free to call or email our HR staff if you would like to be notified of future job openings.  The HR staff will simply need your name, email address, and what position(s) you are interested in applying for (i.e. Police Officer, Firefighter, clerical, etc.).  We will add your information to our data base and you will be notified the next time a recruitment launches in your specified area.  At that time, you may apply.  Please keep us advised of email address changes to ensure you will be able to receive timely correspondence from us.

What is an Eligibility List?

This list is created one a group of qualified candidates apply and test for a position.  This list is created based on cumulative scoring for pre-determined competitive exams for a position along with possible bonus points for previous City Service and Military experience.  Eligibility Lists can be created many different ways from different examinations. 

How long will my name stay on an Eligibility List for a position?

If an Eligibility List is created for a position, per our rules, it is valid for one year, as long as a sufficient number of candidates remain on the list.  Under certain circumstances, the list may be extended for up to an additional year by the Department Head.  You will be notified if a list is extended if you are on that list. 

What do I need to do to view an employee’s personnel file?

The City has specific protocol when it comes to open records requests.  You will be required to complete Request for Information Forms in the Mayor’s office and HR Department and once file has been reviewed and protected information redacted, an appointment will be set for you to come in and review file.  A nominal fee will be charged for copies as provided to you at time of your request for information.

Do I have to be a resident of Hendersonville to work for the City of Hendersonville?


What if I need special testing accommodations?

Please contact our Personnel office located at 101 Maple Drive North in Hendersonville, TN.  Our phone number is 615-264-5314 or you may reach us via email at

Do I have to be a United States citizen to apply?

Tennessee Peace Officer Standards require a Law Enforcement Officer be a citizen of the United States; however, other positions within the City of Hendersonville require employment eligibility verification through completion of an I-9 document and proof of eligibility via the List of Acceptable Documents for identification verification. 

Does the City of Hendersonville provide tuition reimbursement?

In some cases, yes.  The City of Hendersonville has a very strict policy regarding tuition reimbursement for current employees.  Current employees are encouraged to review this policy prior to signing up for classes.   

Does the City of Hendersonville pay a Spanish Fluency Bonus?

Once an employee is no longer in their probationary period, they may contact the Personnel office and schedule a ‘Spanish Fluency’ test.  The Personnel office will coordinate this.  If you pass, you will receive a one-time bonus of $2,500.00. 

Do you have any jobs for part-time, seasonal or youth?

All open positions are listed on our Employment Opportunities page.  You are encouraged to check this page periodically.  You may also check with the Parks Department for seasonal positions.